Skip to main content

Banks! What You Need To Know!#entrepreneurs#startups#businessadvice

 Banks! What You Need To Know!

 

OK here's the story with me and banks

WE DON'T GET ALONG!Never have, never will.

They suck. You know why?
Because they are not businessman! SURPRISE!!!I have said in an earlier entry. A bank's loan department should be made up of 2 types of people. Banker number crunching people and experienced entrepreneurs that actually understand the realities of running an actual business on a daily basis. Unfortunately.........you are forced to deal with a loan officer whom I compare to Dr. Jekyll & Hyde!


jekyllandhyde,twofacedbanker,badguygoodguy
HI I am your loan officer!!!


They don't have a clue about what you face on a daily basis, you know why?

Because you don't know what you are going to face as a business owner! That's the flat out truth!

So, what do you do? You need the money they lend, right?#lendingadviceforbusiness

Yes you do. If anyone is growing a business they need a line of credit.
Now usually that is what banker's like to call an "Asset Based Loan"!

I call it SUICIDE!!!

Yup, good old lead belly suicide! An Asset Based Loan huh? Well let's break this down, shall we?

Ok. So your assets at "book value" are say $500,000. Well they will probably give you 20% of the value of them. Hmmmm.. interesting, because they actually make the product your selling, you'd think they would be valued more than that? Well no. Because all they are looking at is if you fail and you will, what is the bank going to get on the dollar if they sell your assets?#smallbusinessloans

Hello welcome to America!!!

So, let's go down the line, then there is your inventory. You know the goods that you made that you are going to sell to an ever growing customer base at 38-58% Gross Margin!

Well ok buddy! The bank will give you, ummmmmmmmm.... well, uh, 40% of the total value of that??? HUH???
 

And then there is the almighty receivables!!! Oh lordy, those people that want to pay you, but sometimes they just can't because they are business people too, and things come up!

I can remember when my business landed Trader Joe's. It was a huge deal for us. My accountants were pushing me to secure an asset based loan, the reason being simple cash flow ebbs and flows.
I begrudgingly listened to them, and took one out. My paper napkin cash flow analysis told me I didn't need one, because we had the margin to cover the increased inventory, receivables etc that comes with a small business taking on a huge customer. This is very rarely the case.

My loan officer used to show up about every 2 or 3 months begging me just to tap the Line of Credit, for no reason, just to use it!

He was telling me we were making him look bad! I'm sitting on the other side of my desk thinking, this guy doesn't care about my business, all he cares about is how much the bank will make when I finally tap into that line of credit with the prime + 1 1/2% interest rate!This graphic kind of reminds me of him, but don't they all look this way?

loanofficer,banker,assetbasedloanofficer


Well let's just cut to the chase here! Enough with the sarcasm right? WRONG but there is a time and a place for that.

Ok here goes. The best FREE advice you are ever going to get, and I hope you remember where it came from!!

Whenever a business, hello you guys and girls!!! Have to take out an asset based loan, you better put the following wording or something very close to what is below, in the final document!!!

"If for any reason  (YOUR COMPANY) falls out of  formula during the term of this loan. The bank will grant (YOUR COMPANY) 90 days to get back into conformity without action from the bank. If in that time, (YOUR COMPANY) finds that it can't secure favorable terms with another institution then it is at its discretion to notify (THE BANK) that it would prefer to turn the existing lending vehicle into a mutually agreed upon term loan, at a mutually agreed upon term and interest rate."#assetbasedloans

You might also want to consider that, "if the 2 parties cannot reach an agreement on the interest rate and term of the converted loan, the company has an additional 60 days to secure financing from another institution." CYA! Don't put the CYA in the document.  Hey a little humor is needed sometimes. 


Do it!!!! PROTECT YOURSELF AT ALL COSTS!!!

protectyourbusiness,coveryourself,comeoutswinging
OK Banker! Put em Up!!


Thank me will ya?

Haha. Guess I don't have a vocal audience...
Oh well, I hope you use this!!

Go In Swingin! Always have a way out that is favorable to your company.


Joe

Popular posts from this blog

Has The Coffee Roasting Business In The U.S. Taken Its Last J.A.B.?#coffee#coffeebusinessnews

Has The Coffee Roasting Business In The U.S. Taken Its Last J.A.B.?
Unless you have been hiding in an unmarked oil well over the past few months, you already must have realized there has been a significant change in the coffee roasting industry. The $40 billion U.S. market has another bully on the block and watch out Nestle, these gentleman are playing for all the marbles.#entrepreneurship

Coffee beans, which is the second largest traded commodity in the world is apparently a target of one of the richest families in Europe. The Reimann family has not so quietly, been actively targeting U.S roasters and using a “price is not an issue" formula!



The cash is there, and they are clearly not afraid to be buying based on future earnings projections. This isn't a strange occurrence for J.A.B., they purchased D.E. Master Blenders, Douwe Egbert for a cool $10 billion. Many analysts refer to this transaction as, "a pure play coffee company".

Their coffee portfolio no…

How To Roast Your Own Coffee At Home!

How To Roast Your Own Coffee At Home!How to roast your own coffee at home! This is a question I have been asked by many people, especially lately. I haven't been actively updating the blog lately because this is one area of my return to the coffee business that I have really been working on.
First of all, coming from a commercial coffee roasting plant, with over 25 years of experience, this question was one I really had to think about. I was thinking, is it even possible to roast a quality cup of coffee at home and secondly, is it worth your time, effort and expense?
Well the answer is a resounding, ABSOLUTELY! Now, with Black Friday right around the corner, I thought this would be a fantastic time to talk a little about the process, the equipment required and some of the nuances you must eventually master to experience the Freshest cup of coffee you will EVER drink!
Now for me, I was lucky enough to pick whatever coffee or blend from my plant on a daily basis, throw a pound in my 1…

The Coffee Roasting Process and Its Effects On The Products You Drink!

By Joe Leary/Principal/Lead Source Digital Marketer's & KYC Consulting on LinkedIn

Today I would like to explain just how much the roasting process effects the coffee we consume on a daily basis. I sincerely hope you find this article enjoyable, interesting and informative.

I am going to attempt to explain the 4 major roasting processes and what it does and doesn't do to the world's second most popularly traded commodity. Before I get started, there is something you need to know about coffee. When coffee is roasted it goes through a process, within that process the beans are altered by temperature and generally gas, LNG, electricity and even wood.

During this process the beans reach levels within that process that makes the beans, "crack". Depending on how light or dark they are being roasting they "crack either once or twice. This alters the flavor profile tremendously, so please keep that in mind while reading this article.

I have included some pictures, t…