Skip to main content

One Man's Journey in the Coffee Industry and Life

So after 2 months of difficult negotiations, we finally came to an agreement. It was difficult but educating. I understood, he was keeping the company's best interest to heart, and I got a few minor concessions in return. All in all, a pretty good business deal I thought.
then the bomb hit! Our largest customer was Tim Horton's of Canada, who was doing about 2.5 million lbs with us, and they wanted to purchase us! So, my job was to provide all the information the company needed to get a real selling price for the business. The deal was supposed to be all cash which would have been great for my owner. The whole kit and kaboodle, the business, the building, everything! there was only one question I had, would I have a job after it was all said and done! I was assured that I would run the business daily under the supervision of one of the Tim horton executive's, who would be overseeing the operations, but it was mine to run. I would be given a NEW contract of employment and everything would be good to go. So here I was, sitting there, sending them all the details of the business with a promise, I would be there guy! RIGHT. Because that's the way business works, correct. Don't get me wrong, I provided them with everything that was asked, budgets, gross margin analysis, production capacities, even a list of capital improvements to increase output. P&L's, audited statements the whole shabang!
So we fly up to Toronto. Oakville is there headquarters, just a stone's throw outside of Toronto, and we have a meeting. It could be one of the strangest meetings I have ever been a part of. Here is a guy, Ron Joyce, who built an empire, 1,000 store to be exact from nothing. We arrive, my owner and me and we are informed that Ron is in the back loading trucks with his employees! OK. Then the meeting starts about the sale of the business, and my owner stands up and starts screaming and pointing his finger at Mr Joyce, saying, "hey I don't have to sell you! We are who we are and you know what we are about"! I am absolutely mortified! Here is Ron Joyce, his executive staff, and it is just me and my owner, and he decides to go on the offensive! Now, I don't really know to this day if a low ball offer came in and he was disappointed, or it was just a matter of a guy coming to grips with selling something his father started back in 1928, and meant more to him than he even knew. I still don't know, but I can assure you it was very strange indeed.
Needless to say a few months go by and, the hot button turned icy cool. I got a strange phone call from one of their executive team, that they were really re-thinking the whole matter. I was somewhat relieved in a strange way. But then again, I kept thinking, well if he would consider selling the business then, at its height by the way, where does that leave me, down the road? I was torn and a little disappointed. You know, after that meeting in Toronto, we went back to the hotel, and my owner was visibly upset. I still don't know why, but he was. He is not a drinker at all, but he makes me go to the bar with him where he proceeds to order 3 double wild Turkey's?? I was in shock. But you know what, he started talking about his life, and his children and how his first wife died at 38 of a brain tumor, and the kids were small, and he used to bring them to work. Then it hit me. This guy is defined by this business. It was one of the most heartfelt conversations I have ever been involved with. I finally saw the man, not the boss. I admired the man,and for me there on, I would take a bullet for him. No questions asked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Espresso Information!!

Hi everyone, I LOVE a good espresso and it always troubled me about the lack of knowledge some people had about coffee and espresso, especially in the U.S., because that's where I am from, I am not sure this is prevalent throughout the world, but there are some things everyone should know about espresso. First off, it doesn't matter what type of roast or beans you use really. It just matters that the coffee is ground to a certain fineness. This causes the massive amount of pressurized extraction you get from brewing it in an espresso machine!! The massive pressure that an espresso machine provides is the key to good espresso, not the beans or the blend, or the roast shade. In fact, some of the most powerful espresso I have ever tasted is from a roast that most people would describe as light roasted coffee!!  You see the way the espresso interacts with the brain is very different. It calls into attention a brain function called Adnosine which releases adrenaline into yo

How To Successfully Run A Commodity Based Business#commoditybusiness#freebusinessadvice

How To Successfully Run A Commodity Based Business     I have over 26 years of experience in a commodity based business. As a matter of fact, it wasn't just commodities, it was the number 2 traded commodity on the planet, coffee. Although I will be referring to coffee in this article, this information will translate into any commodity based business. One thing I do want to point out, that perhaps many haven't considered. Almost every business, if not every single business is affected in some way by commodities. Whether it is a meat packer buying boxes(by the way beef is a commodity), or a bakery packaging mini muffins in portion controlled lots. Yes, board to make boxes is a commodity, and many of the packaging materials a manufacturing facility uses is petroleum based. I could go on and on, but I just wanted to point out that understanding commodities and how to manage and minimize your exposure to wild price swings is an extremely important skill. So I'd lik

The Art Of Creating A Great Coffee Blend

  THE ART OF CREATING A GREAT COFFEE BLEND!   This is pretty much where the rubber meets the road, in the coffee industry. Coffee blends make up the vast majority of successful products within this industry. Single Origins and Estate Coffees are wonderful, but, coffee blends are generally the mainstay of most consumers purchases. There are several reasons for that. Today I want to explain and explore how you would go about finding the right coffee blend for you and, what goes into the process of roasting and blending coffee and the underlying reasons. I hope you find this enjoyable and entertaining. After all it really is the "Art" side of the coffee industry. It is also the down and dirty business side of the industry. Let's take a closer look at what goes into this process. Most of you know that coffee is an agricultural product. With any product that is cultivated and grown, there are natural cycles that occur. Coffee is no different. Coffee