Skip to main content
Hey I have to say, this is a stretch for me, being from Boston and all. But Congratulations to the Chicago Blackhawks tonight on winning the Stanley cup!! I mean how good can it it get? Two teams from the original six on national television, and what a great game! Boston is a hockey town!! So isn't Chicago, I have been there quite often and kudos to you, you were the better team and you deserved to win, I know it sucks for us but reality is in the proof and the proof was you beat us fair and square!! So, that does not mean you lose your competitive edge, that does not mean the team we had couldn't achieve the ultimate goal. That means you go back to the drawing board and you analyze why it happened.
You see there are certain companies, sports teams, operations that you want to lift the best practices out of and get to understand the intricacies that make them great and then tweak them to be better. That is life and that is business. If you aren't changing for the good of moving your business forward, you are falling behind, plain and simple. So, in 1995, with the frost, and getting lucky we made over $375,000 in a matter of 4 hours. I could've made more but i pulled the plug and sold all our futures at 2.46. The market that day went to $2.73. Didn't have the balls or the interest to stay in. I am a, take what you can get and maximize it kind of manger, especially when I really had no idea what I was doing. After that though, I did know and was much more disciplined. But hey, in my mind I hit a home run for the company, I rounded the bases with my hand in the air. Otherwise we were sunk with some of the fixed pricing contracts we had. we survived because we made that profit to offset the actual costs. Now I realized, there is a whole new world out there, that can sink us or protect us, but I was already a risk taker, so why not. Why not? Because it was someone else's money and you know what, I felt the weight of that. I needed parameters. So that was the next conversation with my owner. It went better than I thought. But I had bigger ideas, which were not on the agenda.
Again, congratulations Blackhawks, I always loved the shaking hands at the end of a long fought out series. I think that should somehow be incorporated in business in some way. You fight for the same customers ,whoever wins, congratulate them, learn, move on. I don't know....... Keep reading, I am very happy to say this blog has eclipsed 2500 hits today, without any advertising, monetizing, very little promoting! I know that is a very small number of readers in the world of the ever powerful internet. But hey I'll take it and proud of it!! Please sign up as followers! This blog will get better as time goes on I guarantee it and if it doesn't drop it!! Thanks for reading as always though! I really appreciate it!! Joe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Espresso Information!!

Hi everyone, I LOVE a good espresso and it always troubled me about the lack of knowledge some people had about coffee and espresso, especially in the U.S., because that's where I am from, I am not sure this is prevalent throughout the world, but there are some things everyone should know about espresso. First off, it doesn't matter what type of roast or beans you use really. It just matters that the coffee is ground to a certain fineness. This causes the massive amount of pressurized extraction you get from brewing it in an espresso machine!! The massive pressure that an espresso machine provides is the key to good espresso, not the beans or the blend, or the roast shade. In fact, some of the most powerful espresso I have ever tasted is from a roast that most people would describe as light roasted coffee!!  You see the way the espresso interacts with the brain is very different. It calls into attention a brain function called Adnosine which releases adrenaline into yo

How To Successfully Run A Commodity Based Business#commoditybusiness#freebusinessadvice

How To Successfully Run A Commodity Based Business     I have over 26 years of experience in a commodity based business. As a matter of fact, it wasn't just commodities, it was the number 2 traded commodity on the planet, coffee. Although I will be referring to coffee in this article, this information will translate into any commodity based business. One thing I do want to point out, that perhaps many haven't considered. Almost every business, if not every single business is affected in some way by commodities. Whether it is a meat packer buying boxes(by the way beef is a commodity), or a bakery packaging mini muffins in portion controlled lots. Yes, board to make boxes is a commodity, and many of the packaging materials a manufacturing facility uses is petroleum based. I could go on and on, but I just wanted to point out that understanding commodities and how to manage and minimize your exposure to wild price swings is an extremely important skill. So I'd lik

The Art Of Creating A Great Coffee Blend

  THE ART OF CREATING A GREAT COFFEE BLEND!   This is pretty much where the rubber meets the road, in the coffee industry. Coffee blends make up the vast majority of successful products within this industry. Single Origins and Estate Coffees are wonderful, but, coffee blends are generally the mainstay of most consumers purchases. There are several reasons for that. Today I want to explain and explore how you would go about finding the right coffee blend for you and, what goes into the process of roasting and blending coffee and the underlying reasons. I hope you find this enjoyable and entertaining. After all it really is the "Art" side of the coffee industry. It is also the down and dirty business side of the industry. Let's take a closer look at what goes into this process. Most of you know that coffee is an agricultural product. With any product that is cultivated and grown, there are natural cycles that occur. Coffee is no different. Coffee