Skip to main content

Ground Zero!! There's Nowhere To Go but Up!!

I am sitting there in the corner office, wow, everything I ever wanted, well sort of. I own the company 100% outright, well, sort of, because I owe the previous owner $450,000 and he is holding the stock incase I don't pay him. Then he gets everything back! So I could fix 98% of the problem, stumble on some unforeseen rock, miss a payment and he gets everything back!! Great deal!! I found out it was ultimately my fault for signing such a one way transaction, but at the time my lawyer's got the wrath of the frustration I felt. You see, I wanted it so bad, I blindly agreed to terms that were not only unrealistic, they were probably insane!! I think I took the whole, don't let anything stop you from you attaining your goals, WAAAY to seriously. What had I done? I have signed my life away, assumed all the company's previous debt, which I didn't have a clue of the real amount, and I signed my life away to a bank that didn't care if I lived or was homeless. They just knew they had a guarantee, which they never had before.
I found out relatively quickly that our long time loan officer, had been sent out to pasture, and now I would have to deal with 2 guys, who I have never met, in the workout section! I'll call one Dr. Evil and the other one, the good guy with the fake compassion! It was a circus.On top of getting the daily jabs and hooks from them, I had a business to fix and it wasn't essy. Trying to gain the right leverage to everyone working there, who might have seen me as their boss, but when you own something it is very different. It is a learning experience, because there is no soft side, no, let me run it by the big guy, or, I'll see if I can convince him to do this and that. It was me, and that feeling took a great while to come to terms with. I was immediately separated, I was not just an employee anymore, it was very strange, yet I embraced it, at least most days. Some were better than other's but at least I knew from the get go, it was all on me now, no veto's, no good job but we're doing this, it was my way or, wait for it, or I was wrong!! I know you thought the highway!! but that is not who I was, I wasn't going to be the all powerful Oz. I knew I needed talented people I could trust around me, I knew I didn't know everything, but I was intuitive, and I knew I had the business sense. It is just hard when you are paying a bank, $47,000 in interest, trying to keep the creditor's from barking at your door, and trying to identify what we have to do to move forward, and succeed, just not survive! I was $5.4 million in debt and I was hanging on by a thread, but I wasn't letting go, even if the thread broke through to my knuckles! I shouldn't say I didn't care, because I deeply did, but my ultimate responsibility was to my family, and I had to make this work, somehow, some way. So I used to spend a lot of lonely nights on my deck, looking up at the stars for answers, they shined back at me, but unfortunately they didn't illuminate or give me the insight to save my business. But what a time, talk about feeling alive, what a rush!!! Here we go! Thanks, for reading, Joe

Popular posts from this blog

How To Roast Your Own Coffee At Home!

How To Roast Your Own Coffee At Home!How to roast your own coffee at home! This is a question I have been asked by many people, especially lately. I haven't been actively updating the blog lately because this is one area of my return to the coffee business that I have really been working on.
First of all, coming from a commercial coffee roasting plant, with over 25 years of experience, this question was one I really had to think about. I was thinking, is it even possible to roast a quality cup of coffee at home and secondly, is it worth your time, effort and expense?
Well the answer is a resounding, ABSOLUTELY! Now, with Black Friday right around the corner, I thought this would be a fantastic time to talk a little about the process, the equipment required and some of the nuances you must eventually master to experience the Freshest cup of coffee you will EVER drink!
Now for me, I was lucky enough to pick whatever coffee or blend from my plant on a daily basis, throw a pound in my 1…

Has The Coffee Roasting Business In The U.S. Taken Its Last J.A.B.?#coffee#coffeebusinessnews

Has The Coffee Roasting Business In The U.S. Taken Its Last J.A.B.?
Unless you have been hiding in an unmarked oil well over the past few months, you already must have realized there has been a significant change in the coffee roasting industry. The $40 billion U.S. market has another bully on the block and watch out Nestle, these gentleman are playing for all the marbles.#entrepreneurship

Coffee beans, which is the second largest traded commodity in the world is apparently a target of one of the richest families in Europe. The Reimann family has not so quietly, been actively targeting U.S roasters and using a “price is not an issue" formula!



The cash is there, and they are clearly not afraid to be buying based on future earnings projections. This isn't a strange occurrence for J.A.B., they purchased D.E. Master Blenders, Douwe Egbert for a cool $10 billion. Many analysts refer to this transaction as, "a pure play coffee company".

Their coffee portfolio no…

The Future of The Coffee Roasting Business In The U.S.#coffeefacts#businessopinions#entrepreneurs

The Future Of The Coffee Business in The U.S.

So where do you think the coffee business is going in the U.S.? As I have written in previous posts, there has been major consolidation within this industry over the past few years. Long overdue by any industry standard.

Let's take a look at the factors, roadblocks, and issues this business has, moving forward in the U.S. marketplace. It is far from unique as many industries are in the same boat. But where is the next big breakthrough? Will there be another Keurig? Well no one has a crystal ball, but there are things happening, and most of them, like the 1 cup k cup machines are not on a lot of people's radar yet. But, for someone like me, who has spent more than half of their lives in this industry, I have to believe that will come along.

Again, that next big thing in my mind is still only half the equation! Consolidation of this industry is still in the really early stages, as far as I'm concerned. But, as I sit here an…