Skip to main content

The Beginning of the REAL Journey!!

So now we get to the really interesting, moving parts of this journey. In the beginning it was Adam and Eve.... No no I have to get back on track.
In 1997, we were rolling, rolling on the river. That was until the accountants came in to do an audit and found out that our financial guy had, how should I put this....... hmmmm..... Mis-classified an entry that would change the company forever!! You see, he posted some crazy entry to the balance sheet asan asset and the accountants were saying it was an operating expense and , well that's when the shit hit the fan!! You see it wasn't some small entry it was a million dollar entry, that they said has to be re-classed as an expense?????
I was absolutely speachless. I tried to justify the mistake, I tried to analyze the mistake, I tried to figure out where in the books, could such a disparaging amount be and no one knew? It was absolutely life changing. Now the month before, we thought we were rolling and my owner gave me a generous $50k bonus. I went up to him and asked him, did he think it would be a good time to buy another house, in a nicer neighborhood or town? He was telling me oh go ahead this is rolling everything is fine!! So what do I do? I sell my house, move into an apartment and start looking for a great house, south of Boston! Well we find the perfect house, we find the perfect street!! We were so happy and we put the money down we had saved, including the bonus and were told it would be ready by Memorial day!! Wow, what great news, move into a big New Colonial 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath with 4 acres on a cul-de-sac, and become the new Nelson Family!! How great!!
But NO, the accountants came in all stone faced and said, there has been a dire bookkeeping error and instead of making $500,000 last year , you lost $1.2 million dollars!!! This was in February! I had already bought the house, I was let's just say, I had a mild breakdown. I kept thinking??? Hoe did we lose all this money with the sales and gross margin we had??
Well this went on for 2 months, the accountants covering their butts, brought in some South African guy, who I could barely understand to do an analysis. But everynight, he would quite nicely ask me if I wanted a ride to the boat or the train? Whichever way I was commuting, I would accept and on those rides, there would be some very off color questions!! BING, this kind of raised a RED flag!!
Meanwhile, I am running all over the place trying to fix everything I could, while my owner had the bankruptcy attorney's in his office daily, foaming at the mouth.
You see, he had an UNSECURED loan from a bank in town worth $3.1 million dollars, and he overdrew it by $200,000 on purpose, and you know what!!! They let him!!. So now we are in serious crap. The bank is sweating, I am having panic attacks, nightly!! And the accountants are just trying to cover their rearends!! That's when I got my real inoculation into business, because it is all about who did what and liability!!! That is it!!! Wow, what an education, but we were just getting started. This would get significantly more complicated by the week. I was shocked but not crippled, I was trying to figure it all out, and stuff just wasn't adding up. Had to get back to my project roots to really crack the code. But the code was very complicated. My journey has just begun............... Stick with me people!! All true. All true.. Joe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Espresso Information!!

Hi everyone, I LOVE a good espresso and it always troubled me about the lack of knowledge some people had about coffee and espresso, especially in the U.S., because that's where I am from, I am not sure this is prevalent throughout the world, but there are some things everyone should know about espresso. First off, it doesn't matter what type of roast or beans you use really. It just matters that the coffee is ground to a certain fineness. This causes the massive amount of pressurized extraction you get from brewing it in an espresso machine!! The massive pressure that an espresso machine provides is the key to good espresso, not the beans or the blend, or the roast shade. In fact, some of the most powerful espresso I have ever tasted is from a roast that most people would describe as light roasted coffee!!  You see the way the espresso interacts with the brain is very different. It calls into attention a brain function called Adnosine which releases adrenaline into yo

How To Successfully Run A Commodity Based Business#commoditybusiness#freebusinessadvice

How To Successfully Run A Commodity Based Business     I have over 26 years of experience in a commodity based business. As a matter of fact, it wasn't just commodities, it was the number 2 traded commodity on the planet, coffee. Although I will be referring to coffee in this article, this information will translate into any commodity based business. One thing I do want to point out, that perhaps many haven't considered. Almost every business, if not every single business is affected in some way by commodities. Whether it is a meat packer buying boxes(by the way beef is a commodity), or a bakery packaging mini muffins in portion controlled lots. Yes, board to make boxes is a commodity, and many of the packaging materials a manufacturing facility uses is petroleum based. I could go on and on, but I just wanted to point out that understanding commodities and how to manage and minimize your exposure to wild price swings is an extremely important skill. So I'd lik

The Art Of Creating A Great Coffee Blend

  THE ART OF CREATING A GREAT COFFEE BLEND!   This is pretty much where the rubber meets the road, in the coffee industry. Coffee blends make up the vast majority of successful products within this industry. Single Origins and Estate Coffees are wonderful, but, coffee blends are generally the mainstay of most consumers purchases. There are several reasons for that. Today I want to explain and explore how you would go about finding the right coffee blend for you and, what goes into the process of roasting and blending coffee and the underlying reasons. I hope you find this enjoyable and entertaining. After all it really is the "Art" side of the coffee industry. It is also the down and dirty business side of the industry. Let's take a closer look at what goes into this process. Most of you know that coffee is an agricultural product. With any product that is cultivated and grown, there are natural cycles that occur. Coffee is no different. Coffee