Skip to main content

The DECISION maybe...........

This goes until April, it started in late january, and it is pure torture on a daily basis. Now for some reason our owner has agreed to let a "workout guy" named Joe something or other come in on a weekly basis and do a weekly P&L on a piece of 11"x14" yellow paper???? I am sitting in the room supplying him numbers and he's looking at me like I am some antichrist! But everytime he left with his $800.00 check in hand , his numbers were showing that we were clearly making a profit. Now, not as big as we thought but we weren't losing money!!! Which was my contention all along. Even if everything went wrong the year before with waste, mismanaged production, throwing away packaging materials, whatever? I could only come up with a worst case scenario, that we wasted $480,000. That means everything went wrong, which it didn't, but for arguments sake let's take 50% of that. Ok, that is $240,000 we wasted on inefficiencies. Fine, I could live with that, I couldn't live with the fact that, what that means is there is still almost $1 million unaccounted for. I was at a loss.
I wrapped my head around this for months but then I realized, whether it was a computer glitch, which I swear to this day it was, or an errant entry, which means a whole lot more, I knew we could turn a profit. This is when I started thinking, this guy could close down the business no problem, and who could blame him, or maybe, just maybe, he would sell it to me!!
But there was just one problem with that theory, I had absolutely no money, I just bought a house and put pretty much all of our savings into it. My bonus, my wife's money everything. I had to find a way to not only finance and buy this business, I had to find a way to convince my boss to sell it to me! It was the biggest challenge I had ever faced, but my wife was behind me and I had some friend's in the industry that were sort of behind me. I don't know, it kind of what back to my uncle in Virginia telling me when I was 15, "if you ever get the opportunity to work for yourself, jump at it, just know what you are risking", he was a Harvard Grad so I kind of took his advice to heart.
But this was a BIG jump and a semi risky complicated jump. I would first have to negotiate with my current boss, then have the bank agree to the terms, then sign a forbearance agreement with them, which ties me up six ways to Sunday, and oh by the way, it had to be a stock sale, which means I am responsible for all the debts the previous owner owes!!! Would you do that, in a 100% privately held company, where there was no disclosure? Suicide right? You bet, and I didn't even blink for some strange reason. I was compelled!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Espresso Information!!

Hi everyone, I LOVE a good espresso and it always troubled me about the lack of knowledge some people had about coffee and espresso, especially in the U.S., because that's where I am from, I am not sure this is prevalent throughout the world, but there are some things everyone should know about espresso. First off, it doesn't matter what type of roast or beans you use really. It just matters that the coffee is ground to a certain fineness. This causes the massive amount of pressurized extraction you get from brewing it in an espresso machine!! The massive pressure that an espresso machine provides is the key to good espresso, not the beans or the blend, or the roast shade. In fact, some of the most powerful espresso I have ever tasted is from a roast that most people would describe as light roasted coffee!!  You see the way the espresso interacts with the brain is very different. It calls into attention a brain function called Adnosine which releases adrenaline into yo

How To Successfully Run A Commodity Based Business#commoditybusiness#freebusinessadvice

How To Successfully Run A Commodity Based Business     I have over 26 years of experience in a commodity based business. As a matter of fact, it wasn't just commodities, it was the number 2 traded commodity on the planet, coffee. Although I will be referring to coffee in this article, this information will translate into any commodity based business. One thing I do want to point out, that perhaps many haven't considered. Almost every business, if not every single business is affected in some way by commodities. Whether it is a meat packer buying boxes(by the way beef is a commodity), or a bakery packaging mini muffins in portion controlled lots. Yes, board to make boxes is a commodity, and many of the packaging materials a manufacturing facility uses is petroleum based. I could go on and on, but I just wanted to point out that understanding commodities and how to manage and minimize your exposure to wild price swings is an extremely important skill. So I'd lik

The Art Of Creating A Great Coffee Blend

  THE ART OF CREATING A GREAT COFFEE BLEND!   This is pretty much where the rubber meets the road, in the coffee industry. Coffee blends make up the vast majority of successful products within this industry. Single Origins and Estate Coffees are wonderful, but, coffee blends are generally the mainstay of most consumers purchases. There are several reasons for that. Today I want to explain and explore how you would go about finding the right coffee blend for you and, what goes into the process of roasting and blending coffee and the underlying reasons. I hope you find this enjoyable and entertaining. After all it really is the "Art" side of the coffee industry. It is also the down and dirty business side of the industry. Let's take a closer look at what goes into this process. Most of you know that coffee is an agricultural product. With any product that is cultivated and grown, there are natural cycles that occur. Coffee is no different. Coffee