Skip to main content

Back To The Story of My Journey!!!

So here i am in 1997 with a ship that was sinking, taking on water faster than the titanic and now I was the skipper! I owned the freakin boat. It was a scary time, yet it was the jack as well. I knew I could save it, somehow I did, but I had to get the thing to float first.
I now owned a company, a well known brand that was started by 3 guys who used to work for a company called LaTouraine in July of 1928! I felt like I had a responsibility in some strange way to keep the brand and company alive.
Well looking back on it now, I had to be out of my mind! We owed the bank $3.2 million dollars, we owed our suppliers another $2 million plus but I knew in my heart we would survive.
During those days, those long never ending days, I'd sit in my office and try to think of ways to get out from under this huge, suffocating amount of debt we were in. We immediately started implementing realistic projections based on cash flow, sales, trends, opportunities etc...
It barely worked, I mean by the skin of my teeth it worked, but without a penny to spare! We were paying the bank $47,000 per month in interest! And now I was on the hook for the whole darn shooting match. What a time. It was a time full of worry and stress, but for some reason I kept coming back to the fact that no matter how deep we were in it, it was still mine, all mine, and that was strangely exhilarating. There really is no better feeling than to have your entire future in your control, even while the whole damn thing could have spun out at any moment.
But, I worked with the bank, appeased their demands, and kept plowing along. The bank however, was taking up so much of my time that trying to focus on fixing the business almost became an after hours job. I'd spend all day making sure the reports were spot on, and we were not in any kind of default from our extremely lengthy forebearance agreement I was handed after I signed my life away. But the way I looked at it, was very differently than I would look at it now. I was young, a risk taker(obviously) and I knew that if I could just implement a few different strategies, increase our margins and expand our distribution, we might, and I mean might be able to survive.
I spent a lot of nights looking up at the sky and stars and shaking my head, saying to myself, "what the hell did I get myself into"? But as time started to move forward things started to get a little better. Some of the moves I made began to pay dividends, but it seemed every step we took forward, the bank would tighten the noose just a little tighter around my neck. That's why I think banking and commercial lending especially is such a joke! The old adage, when you need them they are never around, and when you don't need them they are throwing money at you. I have to tell you, that is soooo true. Maybe banker's in the commercial lending side of that business should be required to have some sort of experience as a business owner. Now there's a thought huh? Well they don't, they are all a bunch of robots, driven by ratio's and equity valuations and , well you know...
I guess that's one of the main reasons I am a consultant now. I have been in the worst possible positions and gotten out of them. I know what it takes to deal with blockhead banker's and workout departments now. Yeah I learned it the hard way but it was an invaluable experience dealing with these type of problems. But the one thing is, they didn't understand who they were dealing with. I was not going to fold under any circumstances and I would fight until I couldn't fight at all, and so it began. Game ON!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Espresso Information!!

Hi everyone, I LOVE a good espresso and it always troubled me about the lack of knowledge some people had about coffee and espresso, especially in the U.S., because that's where I am from, I am not sure this is prevalent throughout the world, but there are some things everyone should know about espresso. First off, it doesn't matter what type of roast or beans you use really. It just matters that the coffee is ground to a certain fineness. This causes the massive amount of pressurized extraction you get from brewing it in an espresso machine!! The massive pressure that an espresso machine provides is the key to good espresso, not the beans or the blend, or the roast shade. In fact, some of the most powerful espresso I have ever tasted is from a roast that most people would describe as light roasted coffee!!  You see the way the espresso interacts with the brain is very different. It calls into attention a brain function called Adnosine which releases adrenaline into yo

How To Successfully Run A Commodity Based Business#commoditybusiness#freebusinessadvice

How To Successfully Run A Commodity Based Business     I have over 26 years of experience in a commodity based business. As a matter of fact, it wasn't just commodities, it was the number 2 traded commodity on the planet, coffee. Although I will be referring to coffee in this article, this information will translate into any commodity based business. One thing I do want to point out, that perhaps many haven't considered. Almost every business, if not every single business is affected in some way by commodities. Whether it is a meat packer buying boxes(by the way beef is a commodity), or a bakery packaging mini muffins in portion controlled lots. Yes, board to make boxes is a commodity, and many of the packaging materials a manufacturing facility uses is petroleum based. I could go on and on, but I just wanted to point out that understanding commodities and how to manage and minimize your exposure to wild price swings is an extremely important skill. So I'd lik

The Art Of Creating A Great Coffee Blend

  THE ART OF CREATING A GREAT COFFEE BLEND!   This is pretty much where the rubber meets the road, in the coffee industry. Coffee blends make up the vast majority of successful products within this industry. Single Origins and Estate Coffees are wonderful, but, coffee blends are generally the mainstay of most consumers purchases. There are several reasons for that. Today I want to explain and explore how you would go about finding the right coffee blend for you and, what goes into the process of roasting and blending coffee and the underlying reasons. I hope you find this enjoyable and entertaining. After all it really is the "Art" side of the coffee industry. It is also the down and dirty business side of the industry. Let's take a closer look at what goes into this process. Most of you know that coffee is an agricultural product. With any product that is cultivated and grown, there are natural cycles that occur. Coffee is no different. Coffee