Skip to main content

Two of The Biggest Skills Every Business Owner Needs To Learn!

Hi everyone,
It has been awhile! I have been enjoying this great New England summer weather with my wife, and in fact, just spent a few days on Cape Cod with some of our dearest friends. Wow, maybe I should have titled this article Three things.... because spending time with good friends should always be on the agenda, but that doesn't need to be a skill you have to acquire, so I digress..
Ok.
When I bought my business I was 37 years old. I was full of ideas, motivated like a lion who hadn't eaten in ten days, and enthralled in my opportunity to really be in charge for the first time in my life.
Think about that for a long minute. That is, in itself a lot to be processing. This is why owning your own business isn't easy, unless you are a one person operation! Which I am now, being an active consultant, but on my own.
But back in 1997, I had departments to manage, 65 employees to pay, and 104,000 square foot building to maintain! Oh yeah, and I had to sell a little bit of coffee to keep that all going.......
But with ownership comes a whole lot more than that. looking back on it now, I could write 25 or more examples of things I did wrong just because I hadn't yet developed a very important skill.
Listening! That's right listening. Do you understand how hard it is to really listen to other people, especially when it directly involves something you have total control of? Now, obviously there is a little bit of a lot of things attached to that statement. But if I got into all that, this post would become a novella. I just know that I have been in business for 27 years +, and I have seen first hand, the complete lack of upper management and especially owner's who do not listen to their employees especially! If you own a business or you are the key person(decision maker) in your company, this is one of the greatest skills you can develop. Not only does it engage your employees, who, by the way, make up your company and provide you with your livelihood, it allows you to understand and even see things from very different perspectives than you might normally process things. Even some of the more mundane suggestions can impact your operation, and lead to real measurable improvement. The bottom line is be approachable and then, LISTEN! You know, as a business owner, you are constantly juggling multiple balls on a daily basis. But even then you should always treat your employees with respect. Say someone comes up to you and you have a scheduled meeting or call, whatever, at that point you should say to your employee, "You know Linda, I know you want to talk with me, however, this is not a good time for me, but I'll tell you what, when I get a free moment today or tomorrow at the latest, I'd be happy to hear what you have to say". Wow, now there is a breath of fresh air, isn't it? Anyway, LISTEN!
Now for number 2;
Never Ever make a major decision about your business unless you sleep on it! Think about it. You know how many mistakes are made by making snap decisions and judgements without stepping back and really analyzing the issue? I would bet there are too many to count. I know when I was 37, I would just all of a sudden, come up with an idea and BOOM, let's go! It doesn't or very rarely will those types of things workout! You are a business owner, you owe it to yourself and your business to perform your due diligence on almost everything. Well certainly the important things anyway. Hopefully you can identify the important things anyway, otherwise as they say in my old neighborhood, You're Screwed!
Well anyway, that is all for today. I thought it would be helpful to address these issues, and I hope you gain some insight into how you run your own business.
Again, I am an active consultant that is for hire. Look up my profile on Linkedin, under Joe Leary, or feel free to contact me @jleary60@hotmail.com if you need help with any aspect of your business.
All the best,
Joe



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Espresso Information!!

Hi everyone, I LOVE a good espresso and it always troubled me about the lack of knowledge some people had about coffee and espresso, especially in the U.S., because that's where I am from, I am not sure this is prevalent throughout the world, but there are some things everyone should know about espresso. First off, it doesn't matter what type of roast or beans you use really. It just matters that the coffee is ground to a certain fineness. This causes the massive amount of pressurized extraction you get from brewing it in an espresso machine!! The massive pressure that an espresso machine provides is the key to good espresso, not the beans or the blend, or the roast shade. In fact, some of the most powerful espresso I have ever tasted is from a roast that most people would describe as light roasted coffee!!  You see the way the espresso interacts with the brain is very different. It calls into attention a brain function called Adnosine which releases adrenaline into yo

How To Successfully Run A Commodity Based Business#commoditybusiness#freebusinessadvice

How To Successfully Run A Commodity Based Business     I have over 26 years of experience in a commodity based business. As a matter of fact, it wasn't just commodities, it was the number 2 traded commodity on the planet, coffee. Although I will be referring to coffee in this article, this information will translate into any commodity based business. One thing I do want to point out, that perhaps many haven't considered. Almost every business, if not every single business is affected in some way by commodities. Whether it is a meat packer buying boxes(by the way beef is a commodity), or a bakery packaging mini muffins in portion controlled lots. Yes, board to make boxes is a commodity, and many of the packaging materials a manufacturing facility uses is petroleum based. I could go on and on, but I just wanted to point out that understanding commodities and how to manage and minimize your exposure to wild price swings is an extremely important skill. So I'd lik

The Art Of Creating A Great Coffee Blend

  THE ART OF CREATING A GREAT COFFEE BLEND!   This is pretty much where the rubber meets the road, in the coffee industry. Coffee blends make up the vast majority of successful products within this industry. Single Origins and Estate Coffees are wonderful, but, coffee blends are generally the mainstay of most consumers purchases. There are several reasons for that. Today I want to explain and explore how you would go about finding the right coffee blend for you and, what goes into the process of roasting and blending coffee and the underlying reasons. I hope you find this enjoyable and entertaining. After all it really is the "Art" side of the coffee industry. It is also the down and dirty business side of the industry. Let's take a closer look at what goes into this process. Most of you know that coffee is an agricultural product. With any product that is cultivated and grown, there are natural cycles that occur. Coffee is no different. Coffee