Skip to main content

The Aftermath!

So we had just suffered the worst of the worst right? I mean I don't know about you but losing a child is in that .1% of things that are too awful to think about!
I could go into details but believe me, I don't want to shock and depress anyone at the same time. This is a blog about my business adventures and life. It always has been, and maybe parts of this will be in a novel someday. We'll see.
During this crazy time my daughter passed out from exhaustion at 8 pm the night of the funeral and was rushed to the hospital. It was the same ambulance crew that responded to the baby's call the weekend before! It was 100 degrees that day, just brutal! No one knew what to say, and frankly, there was nothing that could bring comfort at that point.
It was ridiculously hard. As I have said though, I was really on top of my game business wise. I don't really remember this but it happened. The Monday after Brady's death, I was on the phone with my lawyer's to request that they start a foundation . A real 501C3 charitable foundation for SIDS. I had to do something to make this tragedy(I have no other word) be something we could, as a family invest our time and effort into, to raise money for SIDS research and counseling! You would be surprised how down the ladder that is, as far as funding from the government! Do you realize that 1800 baby's die a year because of SIDS, that is just in the U.S.? That is a pretty big number. And it doesn't just effect a family, it effects all the people who are related or friends of those families! It is in my mind something that absolutely devastates more people than you know. So I did do that and after that, my wife took over! She was amazing during this period. She recognized how affected I was and immediately became the rock of the family! She was amazing. I don't think anybody in our family would have made if it weren't for her strength and compassion. Oh, don't get me wrong, she was crushed too. But it was probably the first time in our relationship that she saw me crushed too, and boy did she pick up the ball!
So we started the foundation. I initially was the founder and CEO of the foundation. Proudly I am here to say my daughter after five long years, has taken over as the overseer of the cause and foundation. It just goes to show you that good things can come out of the worst situations! There was a lot in the middle which I will get to, but the fact that today, we have raised 10's of thousand's of dollars for SIDS research and counseling is a great thing. Even in the darkest times, there is a light to be found. We have NO administration fees, so it all goes to the cause. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and that is a VERY true statement. I am here today, after all of that and much more to come, because, myself and my family are all people who don't give up. It is a really amazing trait. It is also very rare in these times.
If you would like to donate to our fund, the instructions are below; 100% of all donations are tax deductible and we would be forever in your debt;
Send to:
The Brady William Leary SIDS Foundation
c/o Boston Private Bank & Trust
7 Central Street
Hingham, Ma 02043

We also have T-Shirts for sale if you'd like one just email me @ jleary60@hotmail.com and I can send you one 1 or 2 or 3!! They are 17.99 a piece plus shipping & handling. They will be on my next post. The pics I mean. 7 year's later and we are still working hard for this cause!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Espresso Information!!

Hi everyone, I LOVE a good espresso and it always troubled me about the lack of knowledge some people had about coffee and espresso, especially in the U.S., because that's where I am from, I am not sure this is prevalent throughout the world, but there are some things everyone should know about espresso. First off, it doesn't matter what type of roast or beans you use really. It just matters that the coffee is ground to a certain fineness. This causes the massive amount of pressurized extraction you get from brewing it in an espresso machine!! The massive pressure that an espresso machine provides is the key to good espresso, not the beans or the blend, or the roast shade. In fact, some of the most powerful espresso I have ever tasted is from a roast that most people would describe as light roasted coffee!!  You see the way the espresso interacts with the brain is very different. It calls into attention a brain function called Adnosine which releases adrenaline into yo

How To Successfully Run A Commodity Based Business#commoditybusiness#freebusinessadvice

How To Successfully Run A Commodity Based Business     I have over 26 years of experience in a commodity based business. As a matter of fact, it wasn't just commodities, it was the number 2 traded commodity on the planet, coffee. Although I will be referring to coffee in this article, this information will translate into any commodity based business. One thing I do want to point out, that perhaps many haven't considered. Almost every business, if not every single business is affected in some way by commodities. Whether it is a meat packer buying boxes(by the way beef is a commodity), or a bakery packaging mini muffins in portion controlled lots. Yes, board to make boxes is a commodity, and many of the packaging materials a manufacturing facility uses is petroleum based. I could go on and on, but I just wanted to point out that understanding commodities and how to manage and minimize your exposure to wild price swings is an extremely important skill. So I'd lik

The Art Of Creating A Great Coffee Blend

  THE ART OF CREATING A GREAT COFFEE BLEND!   This is pretty much where the rubber meets the road, in the coffee industry. Coffee blends make up the vast majority of successful products within this industry. Single Origins and Estate Coffees are wonderful, but, coffee blends are generally the mainstay of most consumers purchases. There are several reasons for that. Today I want to explain and explore how you would go about finding the right coffee blend for you and, what goes into the process of roasting and blending coffee and the underlying reasons. I hope you find this enjoyable and entertaining. After all it really is the "Art" side of the coffee industry. It is also the down and dirty business side of the industry. Let's take a closer look at what goes into this process. Most of you know that coffee is an agricultural product. With any product that is cultivated and grown, there are natural cycles that occur. Coffee is no different. Coffee