Skip to main content

A Lesson Learned Through All The Madness#life stories#business advice#entreprenuership

So how do you follow that up?
Well let's get back to business a little bit, shall we? So through all the madness, there was a huge lesson learned on my part. I was basically not there for about 3 weeks, and when I did come in, no one wanted to say anything to me. I had to initiate 99% of the conversations, during this time.
Well I also did a little soul searching, and found out that this business in particular, I loved. I was right where I should have been, and always wanted to be. By the holidays I was back up and running. Although I noticed something that I didn't think I had before the baby died, I had compassion.
So that was cool because as you know, I was on a mission for 10 years or more, by that point. If you don't know, you should read the older posts in this blog! But anyway, I had that, and I learned that your family is everything! I was running so fast to be successful, I never once slowed down to take a good look at really, THE most important thing in my life. After all, I used to kid people and say, "hey, if it wasn't for my family, I'd be renting surfboard's on Key West!". But you know what, in comedy there is truth! When I look back, I did it to make them happy and proud. I did it so my wife wouldn't have to worry about working and money etc..., but don't get me wrong, I did it for myself too!
So, yeah I took things for granted, but never again. You only have to tell me once. I'm a fast learner.
So work was going extremely well with the finances and the production, manufacturing side. The sales was another story. You know, when things started to really roll I made a decision to go from an accounting department consisting of a bookkeeper, me and then an outside accountant. Now I can certainly relate to a balance sheet and  a P&L, so there was no problem there. You know I can see and determine budget to actuals, debt ratio to assets, blah, blah.., but I made the decision to hire a CFO.
Now a lot of people in business think the CFO is a luxury position. You know, the biggest argument is, "he doesn't bring in any revenue"! No I would have to agree with that but, and it is a big but, I contend that your CFO is THE most important person on your management team! If you don't think so, you are dead wrong, everyone.
A good CFO, pays for himself ten times over. Generally, at least in my experience his is the NO guy in the room. You need a NO guy in the room, don't you think. I used to be that guy at one point and my career, and I am so glad I made the move  did. So when I came back the books and finances were locked down. The way I configured the production facility was so streamlined and dead simple that we didn't have any problems there. The problem was, my sales team went to sleep! Headed by my VP of Sales, who I thought was a motivator, but turns out he was better suited to drive a route truck! I was pissed. In the time I was out, virtually six months, if you count the times, I was there, but I wasn't. He had not brought in 1 single account of any value. No I'll go 1 step further, he didn't bring in any new accounts! ZERO in 6 months, and his team of sales guys and girls, weren't far behind! I was not a happy camper. To be continued.............
Thanks for reading, my readership is growing exponentially everyday! I want to thank everyone for that, and spread the word about this blog!!! Please..
Again, I am an active consultant, who can help businesses in a multitude of ways. Please visit my profile on Linked in, or contact me at jleary8184@gmail.com!

P.S. I still have to produce pictures of Brady's tee- shirts we are selling! I'll get to it, I promise.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Espresso Information!!

Hi everyone, I LOVE a good espresso and it always troubled me about the lack of knowledge some people had about coffee and espresso, especially in the U.S., because that's where I am from, I am not sure this is prevalent throughout the world, but there are some things everyone should know about espresso. First off, it doesn't matter what type of roast or beans you use really. It just matters that the coffee is ground to a certain fineness. This causes the massive amount of pressurized extraction you get from brewing it in an espresso machine!! The massive pressure that an espresso machine provides is the key to good espresso, not the beans or the blend, or the roast shade. In fact, some of the most powerful espresso I have ever tasted is from a roast that most people would describe as light roasted coffee!!  You see the way the espresso interacts with the brain is very different. It calls into attention a brain function called Adnosine which releases adrenaline into yo

How To Successfully Run A Commodity Based Business#commoditybusiness#freebusinessadvice

How To Successfully Run A Commodity Based Business     I have over 26 years of experience in a commodity based business. As a matter of fact, it wasn't just commodities, it was the number 2 traded commodity on the planet, coffee. Although I will be referring to coffee in this article, this information will translate into any commodity based business. One thing I do want to point out, that perhaps many haven't considered. Almost every business, if not every single business is affected in some way by commodities. Whether it is a meat packer buying boxes(by the way beef is a commodity), or a bakery packaging mini muffins in portion controlled lots. Yes, board to make boxes is a commodity, and many of the packaging materials a manufacturing facility uses is petroleum based. I could go on and on, but I just wanted to point out that understanding commodities and how to manage and minimize your exposure to wild price swings is an extremely important skill. So I'd lik

The Art Of Creating A Great Coffee Blend

  THE ART OF CREATING A GREAT COFFEE BLEND!   This is pretty much where the rubber meets the road, in the coffee industry. Coffee blends make up the vast majority of successful products within this industry. Single Origins and Estate Coffees are wonderful, but, coffee blends are generally the mainstay of most consumers purchases. There are several reasons for that. Today I want to explain and explore how you would go about finding the right coffee blend for you and, what goes into the process of roasting and blending coffee and the underlying reasons. I hope you find this enjoyable and entertaining. After all it really is the "Art" side of the coffee industry. It is also the down and dirty business side of the industry. Let's take a closer look at what goes into this process. Most of you know that coffee is an agricultural product. With any product that is cultivated and grown, there are natural cycles that occur. Coffee is no different. Coffee