Skip to main content

A New Year! A New Beginning!#entrepreneurs#businessadvice#lifestories#coffee

And so it was. New Year's came and went, we had just gotten back from an ill-advised vacation in Jamaica at the Ritz-Carlton. It cost me an arm and a leg, and we really did end up missing our family. Like I might have mentioned in previous posts, you can run but you can't hide!
Anyway, it was January 2008. In the first 10 days of that year, I closed two deals to purchase an Office Coffee Service company and a boutique roaster who was really struggling but had great product! So I was into all kinds of different things. The OCS business I bought got me into the k-cup business, which I am not a fan of but hey, it is huge, and the boutique guy came to work for me. I wanted him on the team. He was a hopeless romantic about coffee but really couldn't grasp the marketing and scaling up mindset, that you needed to have to be really successful. Now don't get me wrong, there are a lot of little boutique roasters that do quite well for themselves for sure. They just don't think in the same terms as someone coming from a volume is everything background! But it was a good move on my part, because he brought some interesting prospectives into the business, and hell, I liked him!
So, I was on to my next target which was a much bigger fish. I was going to need a heavy line and some real showmanship to pull this off. It was a 110 year old business, with the 3rd generation of family members still running it, actively. I needed one hell of a pitch to get them to even listen! I sat on that for a few days.....
Then the phone rang. I'll never forget it. I had a personal line in my office that probably 35 people in the whole world had the number to, when it rang it was never a good thing! This time it was more than that, it was my wife calling me to tell me, my best friend didn't wake up this morning. He was dead!!
I dropped the phone and cried like a baby. I started to think about my grandson Brady who had just passed in July of 2007, everything started to crumble in my big oak lined office, with my beautiful serene views. Was this really how 2008 was going to be? I was surrounded and engulfed by death!
My friend was a real man's, man, he was proud and had fell on some really difficult times over the last 2 or 3 years. He lost his dad, his sister and his job in a matter of 6 months. He was a throwback, that's why I loved him. He would give you the shirt off of his back, that is just who he was. I remember on a few occasions when he was really in need, he would ask me for some help and I gladly helped him. But now thinking back on it, I should have done more. I could have done more. It was right back to ground zero, another one of life's curveballs that I couldn't hit. Could always hit the fast ball, but all I was seeing was junk!
How is this happening? I couldn't believe it, he had a family, a wife who was my wife's best friend, it was devastating. Life is cruel sometimes. So much for new beginnings! "MEET THE NEW BOSS, SAME AS THE OLD BOSS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Espresso Information!!

Hi everyone, I LOVE a good espresso and it always troubled me about the lack of knowledge some people had about coffee and espresso, especially in the U.S., because that's where I am from, I am not sure this is prevalent throughout the world, but there are some things everyone should know about espresso. First off, it doesn't matter what type of roast or beans you use really. It just matters that the coffee is ground to a certain fineness. This causes the massive amount of pressurized extraction you get from brewing it in an espresso machine!! The massive pressure that an espresso machine provides is the key to good espresso, not the beans or the blend, or the roast shade. In fact, some of the most powerful espresso I have ever tasted is from a roast that most people would describe as light roasted coffee!!  You see the way the espresso interacts with the brain is very different. It calls into attention a brain function called Adnosine which releases adrenaline into yo

How To Successfully Run A Commodity Based Business#commoditybusiness#freebusinessadvice

How To Successfully Run A Commodity Based Business     I have over 26 years of experience in a commodity based business. As a matter of fact, it wasn't just commodities, it was the number 2 traded commodity on the planet, coffee. Although I will be referring to coffee in this article, this information will translate into any commodity based business. One thing I do want to point out, that perhaps many haven't considered. Almost every business, if not every single business is affected in some way by commodities. Whether it is a meat packer buying boxes(by the way beef is a commodity), or a bakery packaging mini muffins in portion controlled lots. Yes, board to make boxes is a commodity, and many of the packaging materials a manufacturing facility uses is petroleum based. I could go on and on, but I just wanted to point out that understanding commodities and how to manage and minimize your exposure to wild price swings is an extremely important skill. So I'd lik

The Art Of Creating A Great Coffee Blend

  THE ART OF CREATING A GREAT COFFEE BLEND!   This is pretty much where the rubber meets the road, in the coffee industry. Coffee blends make up the vast majority of successful products within this industry. Single Origins and Estate Coffees are wonderful, but, coffee blends are generally the mainstay of most consumers purchases. There are several reasons for that. Today I want to explain and explore how you would go about finding the right coffee blend for you and, what goes into the process of roasting and blending coffee and the underlying reasons. I hope you find this enjoyable and entertaining. After all it really is the "Art" side of the coffee industry. It is also the down and dirty business side of the industry. Let's take a closer look at what goes into this process. Most of you know that coffee is an agricultural product. With any product that is cultivated and grown, there are natural cycles that occur. Coffee is no different. Coffee